Sunday, August 12, 2012

Crested Butte; Fat Tire 40


What is everyone raving about?  How come every Mountain Bike Joe off the street tells me that I have to go to this place?  It’s talked about as if it is some kind of God.  When people say the words Crested Butte, they bow their heads and point their fingers to the sky.  Personally, I’m more interested in what’s on the ground, in front of me.  But I had to take everyone’s advice, good or bad, and check out the place for myself.

If Crested Butte were a divine figure, it would be a beautiful goddess, tender, warm, and inviting.  Then she would make you work like a slave to reap the rewards of her palace in the sky.  In all honesty, CB could be considered as “in the sky” from any flatlanders vantage point.  It is surrounded virtually on all sides by 14ers.  The riding is mostly done in the 9-11k feet range.  I’m from Indiana.  This might hurt.

I went there to race in the Mountain States Cup Fat Tire 40 event.  Well, I should say that I went there to race in an XC race, of which I had failed to look up the specifics to until late Thursday night, for the race on Saturday morning.  Before getting to CB, I made a one-day pit-stop in Breckinridge to pre-ride one of the loops of the Breck68.  Until this time I had been doing most of my riding on the Front Range, but I knew that I loved the high-alpine stuff way more.  That day in Breckinridge turned out to be a breath of fresh breathless air.  (The term “air” will be used loosely, to describe the oxygen-deficient gaseous mixture that enters your lungs to no avail or reward.  It’s kind of like eating dirt.  Sure, you can digest it, but it will only fool your body into thinking it is being satisfied.  Or, if you don’t like dirt, and you’re like me, I might compare it to drinking beer when stark-raving hungry and deficient of all nutrients, body on the verge of shutdown, say, after a long bike race, instead of eating real food.  Okay, that’s a bad comparison, because beer makes you feel good, and air at 11k feet doesn’t.)  I had been craving mountain singletrack like this for a long time.  Long, fast, flowing sections of prime dirt under your tires, thick green odorous pines whizzing by your head, and cool air; and endless miles of such.  It was a great day of riding, and had me amped to continue on to an even cooler place.  It wasn’t until Thursday night that I looked up the MSC race, and realized that it was called the Fat Tire 40 (hmm…what does 40 stand for?), that it was twice as long as a regular XC race, and involved 7500 feet of climbing.  Umm.. wait a second.  What?  7500 hun…dred..what?  Okay, no biggie though, right.  I mean, I was preparing for the Breck 68, which involved over 9k of ascent, but, uhh, in 68 miles.  So putting my four years of engineering classes and subsequent degree to work, I did a very complicated calculation to compare the vertical ascent per mile of each race.  Breckinridge 68: 132 feet/mile; Fat Tire 40: 187 feet/mile.  This could get interesting.

Race Day:

The race started out with a neutral roll-out from the ski resort base controlled by a pace car.  This was a great idea, IF you had multiple gears and could keep up with said pace car.  By the time it peeled off we were close to funneling into some tight singletrack, and I watched about 40 others hit the trail before me.  As is normally the case, the first 20 minutes were all climbing, traversing our way up the ski area, on singletrack way too tight for passing.  Luckily, I managed to get in right behind the first-place singlespeeder, and we worked our way up together, constantly in traffic.  At some point near the top of this first climb I decided to push and got around him and a bunch of others.  Then we came out onto a service road, which split in two directions in front of us, with a single track trail dipping back into the forest.  3 options, and no signs.  I followed a couple of riders who went straight down one of the service roads, instead of breaking off back into the singletrack.  This was wrong.  By the time we turned around and got back to the trail we had lost 3-4 minutes.  No worries, it was going to be a long day.  But it is frustrating that race officials failed to mark this spot.  Nonetheless, the next 20 minutes or so was all downhill, on the trails of the ski area.  Super fast, rough, rocky, with constant switchbacks.  It was all I (and my bike) could do to hang on.  We hit some more fun, but rocky and technical singletrack before the first huge climb up a dirt road.  The climb took 30 minutes or more to complete, and seemed to never end.  Although it hurt, it was satisfying as I was picking off riders by the tens.  After that point my recollection of the race is very foggy.  It hurt, and then it hurt again.  Then it was amazing and beautiful and out-of-this-world wild-flower carving smooth and buttery.  Then it hurt again.  Leading into one of the longest and hardest climbs I have probably ever done, I passed the front-running singlespeeder who was stopped to fix something on his bike.  He had passed me when I took the wrong turn earlier in the race.  At this point my legs were already half-smoked.  The climb started with loose gravely dirt road that wound its way up the mountainside, continuing to get steeper and steeper the further up you got.  It was all I could do to slowly torque my pedals over the top of each stroke, gasping for air where there is none.  Then, once hitting singletrack, it got worse.  There were more than a few sections so steep that my one gear was defeated, and I was off and hiking, along with just about everyone else.  It was frustrating and exhausting at this juncture in the race.  Again, I don’t remember much after that.  Only that I was tired and unsure of the distance covered.  Maybe it was a good thing that I didn’t have my GPS.  I finished in 4 hours, almost on the dot, taking 1st place in the Single Speed Open class.  Unfortunately I wasn’t able to keep pace with some of the front-runners in the geared department.  The race was too long with some very fast singletrack sections and long stretches of dirt road where the geared guys were able to push forward, with all their technology and fancy equipment. 

In hindsight, it was an amazing course put together by the organizers.  One 40-mile loop, taking you far out into the back-country of CB, encompassing some of the best it has to offer, as well as the ski resort trails, and back-country double track and fire roads.  This is the one event on the MSC calendar that I would definitely do again.  If nothing else it gets you out to CB, wherein you can spend days enjoying some of the best mountain biking on the planet.
Trail 401. Just right up that mountain.

And that is just what I did.  I went out the next day, mightily hung-over and sleep-deprived from a night of partying with friends in Crested Butte.  Lesson 1: Drinking after a hard race is the worst thing for your body, and it will let you know.  I have learned this lesson many times.  Lesson 2:  Force yourself to go ride, work off some of those beers from the night before, fool your body into thinking it feels good as the remnants of alcohol sweat from your pores, and have one of the best rides of your life partly because of the semi-delirious state you are in.  I struggle to learn this lesson, as I usually succumb to the vices of bed and greasy food.  At any rate, I headed out for one of the most incredible rides I had ever done; the storied Trail401.  Starting from Mt. Crested Butte, it’s about an hour or more climb up a dirt road, probably ascending 3k feet or more, before getting to Schofield Pass, at which point you climb the rest of the way on beautiful singletrack.  The descent is pure mountain biking excellence through fields of wildflowers traversing a mountainside, aspen groves and pure flow.  Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment