Thursday, February 21, 2013

New Beast: 2013 SS Race Bike



On Saturday morning I got an email from Pro Peloton saying that my frame had arrived; my new frame that I have been waiting months for.  It was an incredibly nice day, so instead of being the kid on Christmas morning and rushing over to unwrap my new toy, I decided to persevere and go on a long ride.  I took the cross bike into the mountains, up to Jamestown, back down the canyon, then up James canyon almost to Ward, before I noticed a slow leak in my rear tire.  So I turned around and headed back.  About 8 miles all downhill, stopping every 2 miles or so to put more air in my tire.  Normally this would’ve ruined my day, but I knew what lay ahead.

I picked it up around 5pm Saturday, traded ProP a growler of Mountain Sun stout and cash, and went home.  By 10pm Saturday night my new bike was put together in entirety.  These 5 hours could have been expedited had it not been for beers and social activity at my house that had me taking breaks.  Everything went together pretty smoothly.  Unfortunately it would not be ready to ride until I could get it to the shop for the brake lines to be trimmed.  So here it sat, staring me down in all its beauty.

After months of waiting, contemplating setups, compiling parts, and most importantly, not riding a singlespeed(!!), my dreams are finally a reality.  The bike that I will do most of my racing on in 2013, barring any catastrophic events, has finally been finished.  I could jump into the juicy details of this amazing, way-too-good-to-be-true, I-am-not-worthy, not-fit-for-someone-of-my-income-status build that I have put together, but first I would like to take a step back.  Why and how did this all happen?  How is it that I have this amazing machine sitting in front of me (literally, right now, I’m looking at it.  Drooling slightly.)?  Four months of agonizing SS-withdraw and here I am.  It turns out that anything good is worth waiting for.  

First I had to break my old S.I.R.9. 2 ½ years of abuse and racing and voila! Next, decide on new frame, and coinciding parts. Luckily, the frame decision process and monetary acquisitions took longer than expected because it gave me time to acquire a baller set of components for this build.  A few, unforeseen circumstances happened that would accelerate the process while keeping it affordable.  First, enter VeloSwap in Denver.  Among the millions of bike parts available at discounted prices, I found these Magura Marta SL brakes on the cheap!  One of the most expensive parts of my build: check.  Next up, thanks to some awesome product support from sponsors such as Crank Brothers and Maxxis, fancy carbon bits and new rubber was acquired.  The last component of real importance and expense would be the crankset.   Being that there are a plethora of nice cranksets on the market, how does one decide?  As I was scouring online retailers for the best crankset, price per weight, and one that is still external BB, it dawned on me that SRAM had just released an industry-breakthrough crankset this year.  The new XX1 group from SRAM is probably the most influential new product on the market.  Oh, it comes in external BB?  Oh, it’s still way more affordable than XTR, while also being lighter? It was also designed as a single-chainring specific crank, so I don’t have to buy a triple crankset again and use it for SS?  Okay, SOLD.  Thanks to good friends at Virtuous Cycles, the XX1 crankset was had only days after checking it out online.  Once I knew that my frame was on order, I sent my Lefty fork over to Mendon Cyclesmith for a complete service and overhaul.

It seemed like it took forever to finally get this build wrapped up, but it turns out that the extra time was a blessing.  Instead of rushing to buy parts, and either over-spending or getting less-than ideal stuff, I waited and think I have put together the most optimal race bike.

The Goods:
Frame:  2013 Niner One 9 (L)
Fork:  Lefty Carbon DLR 80mm (soon replacing with 100mm carbon Lefty)
Wheels:  Stans Race Gold
Tires:  (f)Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Exo (r)Maxxis Crossmark 2.1
Cranks:  SRAM XX1
Chainring:  XX1 32t (soon to be MRP Bling Ring)
Cog:  Chris King cogs all day
Brakes:  Magura Marta SL (soon to be Formula R1 Racing)
Seatpost:  Easton EC90
Saddle:  Fi’zi:k Tundra II
Stem:  Ritchey WCS
Handlebars:  Crank Brother Cobalt 11 carbon

Weight: 19.5 lbs (could drop a lb with lighter tires, but I love beefy rubber!)

 
This is an absolute dream build.  Never would I have thought, even 6 months ago, that I’d be riding such a well-equipped machine.  I’ve talked a lot about how I was not on a competitive, by comparison, race bike last year.  Now I am.  Now I have no excuses but to go out and crush.  I must give much love to my support and product sponsors for helping make this happen.


First Ride Impressions:

Light, stiff, fast.  Period.  I can’t wait to ride this thing again!!  It is the lightest and most stiff MTB I’ve owned.  I took it out for an inaugural ride up Sunshine Canyon, then over to Betasso Preserve for some singletrack action.  My first impressions while climbing up the road were of the quietness and efficiency of SRAM’s new XX1 crankset paired with the Chris King cog.  There has been some speculation in the MTB world whether this crankset would work well with 10-speed chains.  SRAM has designed their all-new XX1 drivetrain to work with their proprietary 11-speed chain, but for SS use it works great with a 10-speed chain.  It was super quiet and efficient all day.  Next up, the brand new Magura Marta SL brakes.  Since they were brand new, they needed some bedding in before good power could be had.  After that, I really liked the modulation and feel.  Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever experienced good modulation before.  The only other hydraulics I’ve used have been Avid Elixirs, which are pretty much “on” or “off”.  The Avids are powerful, but can also be quite grabby.  The modulation and touch of the Maguras was very nice.  I wouldn’t say they are as powerful as the Elixir CR’s I run on other bikes, but are much nicer to use.  Once hitting the trails, the real magic of this bike started to shine.  First off, I love big beefy tires.  In my opinion, tires are the most important part of your ride.  They are the only thing that makes contact with the ground!  I’ve seen my fair share of racers running super-lightweight flimsy side-wall tires that don’t perform very well and are also extremely prone to flatting.  Not for me.  Having that big cush and awesome grip of the Ardent 2.4 up front was confidence inspiring.  Paired with the Crossmark on the rear, which proved to be an excellent rear tire choice for singlespeeding, this combo was making me happy throughout the ride.  Last but definitely not least was the new One 9 frame.  Once on the trail, I was happily reminded of why I loved the geometry of the SIR9 so much!  The handling and fit of the One9 felt eerily similar to that of my old steed.  For this reason, I instantly felt comfortable on it.  Its light weight and stiffness were apparent as it would accelerate quickly and almost dance or skip over small obstacles.  Much more time is needed on this frame before I can give a full review but my initial reactions are that it is everything I was missing on the SIR9 in the stiffness and weight realms, and is going to be a great race bike for this year.  



  
Now all I need is this snow to go away in Colorado, so I can get out and ride more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment