Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Seven degrees of triangulation: Prince and Me



Prince has a symbol, why can’t I?  Actually, Prince is a symbol.  I’m not sure I want to completely sell my soul to a work of art, or am qualified.  I don’t know 27-something instruments, or how to dress like a woman.  I guess I’m more of a simple creature.  So I’ve created the Dickhouse symbol.  It shall serve as a simple reminder of what is good in life.  Mountain biking, beer, and bed, in that order.   

What more could you want.  At some point something may intervene, and take the place of one of these.  A lady, a dog, a lady dog, learning 27 instruments, work, life, wine (no!), gambling on Greyhounds, croquet, out-of-control blogging, out-of-the-blue diarrheic episodes, monastic retreats, realizing my calling to be  ballet dancer?  All viable options, but for now I feel pretty fulfilled.  I’m a simple man.  Simple pleasures.  And what place will the prospective intervening priority take in my life triangle?  It could, perhaps, be extended into a square, but nobody likes a square except Huey Lewis.  

A triangle is so much more geometrically pleasing.  I would have to guess that rest would be the only replaceable factor in this love triangle.  You’d have to sever my legs for me to give up biking, at which point I’d probably pick up a recumbent hand cycle; beer is the angel that follows me around everywhere I go, and there is no way of getting rid of that bitch.

This week in Bikes:  Read last post.  I rode the high country, Colorado Trail, twice. Excellent riding.  A mountain biker’s wet dream.  Only this wet dream actually paid off in the end.  Also, I’ve been enjoying commuting on my baby since it showed up in the mail a few weeks ago from home:
Uno Pista circa 1988

It’s a custom, one-off, hand-built Japanese track (Keirin) frame from the 80’s.  It actually has the name of the racer stenciled on one chainstay, and the builder’s signature on the other.  Riding a fixed gear in the city is fun; something I missed for a while.

This week in Beer:  Living in Colorado, and working in the beer industry, I have the pleasure of trying fantastic beers almost daily.  My place of employment just entered 6 beers into the Great American Beer Festival.  I have particularly been enjoying our Saison D’Tesh, a traditional saison recipe brewed with a sour mash; and our wet-hopped Harvest Kind Ale, which is hop-backed with 70-pounds of fresh local hops!  From other breweries, Avery’s Kaiser, Dale’s Pale Ale (no duh!), and I stumbled into my house last night only to see this beauty:

Twisted Pine’s Hoppy Boy.  I promptly had my way with her.  This is one of my favorite IPA’s.  It’s the only one I’ve encountered that has the roasty malt-forward character, and similar overall taste, as my favorite IPA of all time, Upland Brewing Company’s Dragonfly.

This week in Bed: I slept, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment